Friday, January 2, 2015

Dear Committee Members



Dear Committee Members
A Novel
by Julie Schumacher and narrated by Robertson Dean

Well, as my second book for 2015 -- it was interesting.  I think it should have been a funny book.  But due to an on-going employment / unemployment / job seeking situation that my husband has been suffering through for a couple of years, and my growing suspicion that maybe he cannot trust the people on his list of references, this book that is basically one "LOR" after another ... (LOR is the character's name for all the Letters of Reference he is writing) ... did not strike me as funny as it might have.

Granted, the main character (only character really -- except for the recipients of his letters, but we never hear from them) is sarcastic and misses few chances to whinge (nice British word, isn't it??) about just about everything -- from the caliber of his colleagues, the condition of his office, the types of companies or schools he is writing to, etc.  He is a professor at a midwestern university in the "Engli h" department and besides survey of lit courses, teaches creative writing in a school that is now a "research institution" increasingly hostile to anything that does not fit into that image of itself.

This is my first encounter with this novel and if I ever listen to it again, experience tells me, I may enjoy it more the second time.  

To read the book description, find out if your public library makes it available through OverDrive services or suggest they add it to their collection, check here:  OverDrive

Powell's books does not have the book available as I write this but maybe later they will add it.  Check out Powell's Books

It is available from Amazon

Audible does have it¸too.

No comments:

Post a Comment