Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Corsican Caper



January 7, 2015 -- Book 013 -- The Corsican  Caper
A novel
by Peter Mayle
Narrator:  Erik Davies
Title Information -
Publisher  Books on Tape
OverDrive MP3 Audiobook
File size:  126742 KB
Number of parts:  4
Duration:  4 hours, 30 minutes
ISBN:  9780804166171
Release date:  May 13, 2014

**Sigh**  I thought this was a different book, one that I had listened to before.  Leafing through the lists of books listened to in 2013 and 2014, I could not find the title of that other book, so I am not even sure if it was by the same author.  (I did a quick author search at my library's OverDrive service -- yes, same author  -- the other book was The Vintage Caper by Peter Mayle and also narrated by Erik Davies.)
This book is set in Provence, as are Mayle's other novels.  Sam Levitt, a detective in The Vintage Caper, also appears in this novel.  A billionaire living along the coast spies a huge yacht just off shore and soon has problems -- the owner of the yacht wants to own the billionaire's estate.  Sam arrives as a guest of the billionaire, Francis Reboul, and sets out to help Reboul repulse the advances of the Russian yachtsman.

I had enjoyed The Vintage Caper and had hopes of enjoying this book as well.  I am actually surprised to discover that the same narrator was used for both novels -- his narration this time was definitely not to my taste and almost made me abandon listening to this book.

The Corsican Caper is not as good as The Vintage Caper -- in my opinion.  Other readers / listeners may have their own opinions (which is often the case - LOL).  Actually, the book may be better than I think it is.  The narration was a distraction -- the ethnic voices -- Russian, Provincial and Corsican -- reminded me of Boris Badinov style cartoony voices. I do admit to being a "picky" reader / listener ...
(since I prefer audiobooks over TV, radio or iTunes) ...

In my notebook list of books for 2015, I've noted a 3 rating for the book (out of 5) and a 2.6 for the narration ... and a clumsily drawn "thumbs down" icon by the title ... sorry, Mr. Mayle.

(Note -- the OverDrive site describing the eBook says this is the 3rd of the Sam Levitt series ...)






No comments:

Post a Comment