Friday, January 2, 2015

Welcome to 2015 and My Reading Challenge for 2015



WOW!  It is the second day of 2015 already!  And I am into the second book of 2015 toward my goal of 500 books "read" this year.

According to my list, I was well over that in 2015, but when I found out about the GoodReads Challenge toward the end of December, and I decided to list the books I'd "read" in 2014 -- I discovered 2 things:
a)   Goodreads does not allow multiple readings of the same book to count toward the count;  only one read per book counts;
b)  I had, around September, stopped being careful to "reuse" numbers of book that I had started and paused for whatever reason and failed to complete.  So right now, the count in my list is not accurate.  I intend to go back and remedy that soon so I can give an "accurate" counting.

How did I end the year with so many books? 
a)  AUDIOBOOKS!  I don't use TV as a diversion -- cancelled satellite TV a number of years ago and because of where the TV and VCR/DVD player are, it is not convenient to use DVDs.  The disk player of my laptop is incredibly finicky and unless a disk is pristine new, it rarely plays well ... so, AUDIOBOOKS.  Why not radio?  Radio through the radio just doesn't work well where I live -- the local station just isn't powerful enough to reach the 8 miles (driving distance -- less, as the crow, canadian goose or sandhill crane fly) from their studios to my house on the hill -- I'm not sure where their tower is, though ... and internet radio just doesn't interest me.  And my internet browser of choice doesn't work with most players, it is too old.  That is, I am using Firefox 12 and they recently released version 33 or 34 ... and every update ifs not an update but almost a totally new version that is no longer compatible with the majority of add-ons I use to make my computer use actually useful to me instead of the myriad of advertisers and marketers who want to control my internet experience.
b)  CHILDREN'S BOOKS!  I love books for all ages but relish children's books, especially beautifully illustrated picture books.  Two years ago, I got interested in them for a proposed series of posts for the month-long A-to-Z posting challenge.  I did not keep up with the challenge but got about 50+ A-to-Z picture books from the library to investigate.  I was amazed by the artwork, the texts, and how much picture books have changed through the years.  Last year, 2014, I spent some time with a series of picture books based on the Cinderella tale and discovered a huge variety of tales from around the world and fanciful retellings of the tale (for instance, one was a Bigfoot version).  I asked my husband for ideas for this year's journey into children's books and he suggested Richard Scarry -- illustrator of many of the books we grew up with.  So, I will see what I can find -- is his work still available even?  And then other illustrators rather than the tales, at first, will be my picture book foray in 2015.  :-)  Children's books are short and easily "bulk" out my count of books (mua ha ha ha ha ha!) ...

A quick note about Amazon and me -->
Back when there was that huge disagreement in 2014 over Amazon not selling books from certain publishers because of pricing disputes, I decided I did not like Amazon and looked for different online sources of books with "affiliate" programs.  I found Powell's and Abes.  Turns out that Abes is an Amazon company.  Audible is an Amazon company (one I need to continue using because they are, right now, the only source of audiobooks that I know of).  GoodReads is an Amazon company.  And, Shelfari is an Amazon company.  **SIGH**
I used to use Shelfari but did not keep up with is.  I tried to log in without opening a new account but the "forgot your password" email hint never showed up, so I decided against opening a new account there.  I've had a GoodReads account for s while but rarely used it until I saw about the 2014 Reading Challenge (in December 2014) and tried to get all my 2014 reads on a shelf there -- which I did, but it is not as easy to use as I would like and when working on a long list, I found it tedious to input all the info.   So I put in all the titles, intending to go back and edit each one to the correct version and add in the "date read" info ... slow going.
So, I have some info on a variety of "goal tracking" widgets that I may or may not adopt to track how many books I do read this year.  We'll see.  But hopefully I will be more regular in my posts here as I read (understand that to usually mean "listen to") books in 2015.
And the first book for 2015 is (drum roll, please) "ta dah":
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

No comments:

Post a Comment