Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February 4, 2015 -- Book 051 & 052


Book 051

Book 1 of the Alafair Tucker series by Doris Casey, The Old Buzzard Had it Coming is a well plotted book that was an enjoyable listen.  Somehow, when I downloaded it from OverDrive, I thought it was set in the Dakotas.  Yet very early on in the book I heard a Southern accent in a phrase and had to double-check.  Set in 1912 in Oklahoma -- I found out.
 
Good book with only one complaint from me.  I always thought of "she wondered" as an internal form of query and not something that is spoken.  And Alafair wonders out loud far more often then she should have.  She should have just straight-forward "asked."  (Just my opinion -- I got sick of "she wondered" -- that's all.)



Book 052

Someone is getting things out of Terry Pratchett's computer and out into the world!  YAY!  Some of it has been in print for a while and just now making it to audio -- like the Science of Discworld series of books.  This seems to be new to both print and audio -- a series of short stories, that he wrote as a young newspaper reporter, that were published in the paper and now are being released in a delightful collection, Dragons at Crumbling Castle and Other Stories.  

A couple of the stories grew in to The Carpet People novel and others seemed to be slightly based on other stories in the world at the time with Pratchett's own twist to them.  Great set of stories aimed at kids but fun for all fans of Pratchett's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment