Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Janaury 13, 2015 -- Books 022 and 023


Book 022 -- Selling Bologna (Baloney) ... is as far as I got ...

Well, this book has been in my OverDrive "wish list" for a while and one day as I was looking for something new to listen to (um, I re-listen to many of the books I own, over and over, and was sort of shocked to discover I may have over-done the re-listens a bit since none of them actually interested met that day ... **sigh**) -- and went to the "wish list."  Clicked on "available now;"  this book was part of the list.  Decided to give it a try.  The Master Butchers Singing Club sounded intriguing and I began listening.

The part of the story where the main character is in the train station in New York, selling sausages from his suitcase to raise the funds to buy a ticket to Seattle is interesting.  He makes enough to end up in the Dakotas ...

The story then moved its focus to another character who apparently becomes important later in the novel, but I lost interest at that point.  Having recently plugged away listening to Long Mars when I really would have rather stopped it and found something I enjoyed more, I decided to just give up on this one and find something different.  I thought I might get back to it before it expired but I didn't ... so it is a "faux" 022.  But, since I thought I might get back to it, the next book is numbered 023 ...


Book 023

Book four of the Thursday Next series, Something Rotten, by Jasper Ffrode and read by Emily Grey is the book I decided to listen to after giving up on The Master Butchers Singing Club.  It is hard to pick my favorite book of the Thursday Next series but I enjoy this one a lot. 

In an earlier review / post about one of the previous books in the series, I make the claim there are no continuity errors in the series.  However, I might be wrong there.  I believe there is one in this book ...

The book opens with Thursday and another Jurifiction agent heading into a Western novel of the pulp variety in search of the Minotaur who had escaped and had become a "page runner" in one of the earlier adventures Thursday has in Bookworld.  They are in the backstory of the novel where the sheriff has to mediate in an argument over whose turn it is to have a gunfight in the middle of the street.  Only moments later, Thursday and her companion find the sheriff sound asleep in his office with his feet up on his desk.  Hmm ... no big deal in terms of being a "continuity error" but ... I lied about there being none in the series.  LOL!  If this is the only continuity error in a series of books, WOW!  Who can complain about that, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment