Wednesday, February 18, 2015

January 21, 2015 -- Book 030 -- Bock Bock Bok!


Daniel Pinkwater's The Hoboken Chicken Emergency was recommended to me a number of years ago by one of my young friends.  She had just finished reading it and gave it a two thumbs up review.  I borrowed a copy of the book through the public library inter-library loan system and enjoyed it almost as much as she did -- maybe more.

Back in the 1980s, when I still lived in southern New Jersey, from time to time I would be in the Manahawkin / Long Beach Island area with WJRZ playing on the radio.  They had a fabulous filler called "Chicken Man."  Chicken Man and Henrietta are nothing alike but Henrietta's story made me remember Chicken Man ... :-)

To be honest, I don't remember what circuitous route brought me to the listing for this book in the inter-library loan card catalog on-line, this time.  But when I was that the book was now available in audio, I jumped at the opportunity to put in a request for it.  When it arrived, **sigh** and plopped it into my laptop's cd player, it played with no problems at all.  A quick glance at the back of the CD made me wonder if anyone had ever borrowed this delightful book before ...  (you see, my laptop's CD player is very very finicky!  I have tons of problems getting it to play many of the CDs or DVDs I borrow through the public library system.  In fact, in view of that, I'm beginning to think that my current request that has me 235th out of 364 for one of 8 copies of a currently popular movie -- I ought to consider cancelling the request as the DVD will probably be unplayable by the time it gets through so many people ... we'll see ...)

I sure hope people discover this book and recording.  The book was first published in the 1970s ... but is set in an earlier time so remains rather timeless ... and should delight children and adults alike.  It is a "chapter book" but many kids read to their parents, as homework, at this stage of learning to read -- so it is good that it will appeal to all ages.

Hmmm ... how to get more people to borrow (and enjoy) this book?  Any ideas??

Okay, "Hoboken" and "Chicken Emergency" should be enough to spark your interest in this book ... but just in case it isn't, I'll tell you this much about Henrietta's story -- when arriving to pick up the turkey for the family's Thanksgiving dinner it is discovered there is no turkey waiting to be picked up.  A visit to just about every store in Hoboken (including a hardware store) finds no fowl of any kind to be had ... until ... well, Henrietta, a 200(plus)-pound chicken is purchased and brought home ...

How can you go wrong with "Hoboken" and Henrietta?!  You gotta get this book and read it or listen to it.  You just gotta.

<><   ><>


So, to "share" Chicken Man with you -- here is are a couple of YouTubes for your enjoyment :D

The first is from a DJ who worked for WJRZ in southern New Jersey.  DJs often toss in a cassette and record their "filler" segments (that is the time(s) when they talk into the mike between songs, and play ads and "stuff," etc.) -- so there is a lot here other than the episode of Chicken Man aired in that segment of his show ...


(Um ... I'm not sure that is the same video I found a couple of weeks ago ...)


The second and third are just Chicken Man episodes for your enjoyment:










No comments:

Post a Comment