Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February 6, 2015 -- 054 & 055


"Book" 054

NAB (Not a Book -- but it got numbered anyhow ... hmmm ... maybe because it is book-related??)

This is Audible for October 9, 2012, included an interview with Jasper Fforde on the release of The Woman Who Died A Lot in the Thursday Next Series. Apparently, there will be at least one more Thursday Next book, Dark Reading Matter ...

Also the author of The Oil Kings was interviewed.  I have the book through a sale at Audible ($3.95 or $4.95 sales are great!) -- but haven't listened to it yet.  I thought it went back to the early days of oil but it is about the deals Nixon made with the Shah of Iran directly.  When Ford became president no one understood these deals and the result was an oil morass ... it is on the list of "listen to soon" books when I am in the right frame of mind to take in factual details ... should be an enlightening listen.




Book 055

I had borrowed this book back in December through OverDrive, I didn't get around to listening to it but at the point when OverDrive told me the book was going to expire in three days and gave me the option to renew it, I hit "renew."  However, someone else must have put it on their hold list before the three days were up and I finally got to re-download the book "now."

I had looked through the pdf that came with the book.  It is a "study guide" and the author hopes that you will be using the guide in a group not just on your own.  I'm not part of a group and I really did not take the time to answer any of the questions but being familiar with the questions, which cover topics in the book in a way that lends them a little more depth, I found that I think the book was a bit more enjoyable with that added knowledge or thought.

So, what is this book?  Well, a book with a study guide sounds like it could easily be boring, right?  I think that might be one of the reasons I put off listening to it the first time I had it to listen to.  This time I decided to just dive into it and see what I thought.  If it was boring I could just turn it off and go on to something different.

Well, Chasing Francis:  A Pilgrim's Tale by Ian Morgan Cron turned out to be a book I enjoyed very much!

The book's description says that a pastor just melts and loses his faith one morning right there in front of his congregation and the church board asks him to take leave.  He turns to an "uncle" and discovers St. Francis ...

I figured this was going to be a preachy novel.  In the preface, the author says that he and InterVarsity Press talked about the book -- how the author wanted to present St. Francis and his teaching and how the publisher thought it should be done as a novel.

Not an easy task to "teach" without being preachy in a novel.  Yet, I believe Cron achieved it.

As a novel, I fell in love with the characters and felt I would like to try to add some of St. Francis' teachings to my own life.  I know I can't do all of it but some of it.

I must admit, though, that part of my liking for this novel is the pastor character's view of the modern / post-modern Christian church.  I am so "happy" (bad word in this instance but I'm not sure what other word to use) to discover I am not the only one to feel such disillusionment with the evangelical Protestant church.  Happy is such a bad word because there is nothing happy about the situation except to find there are others who feel that way and maybe something will happen to change things.  I hope so.  And the author and character may be right -- bringing some of St. Francis into the church may help -- a lot!

And even if you are not a "Christian," nor have any religious leanings at all, you may discover some aspects of St. Francis' teachings to be helpful to you too.  He had views about art, beauty, nature, people in need and so much more -- that could help us all if we could embody even a tiny fraction of it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment