Wednesday, February 18, 2015

January 30, 2015 -- Books 043 to 046


Book 043

Kaye Umansky is back with Pongwiffy and the Spell of the Year.  This is not the first Pongwiffy book -- and it really isn't necessary to read them in order, though it might help get to know the characters just a little bit better.
 
Pongwiffy, as her name implies, is a smelly old witch who lives in a hovel and loves it.  Her familiar is a hamster.  She and her best friend fall out and make up almost all the time.  And something always goes wrong ...




Book 044

To be honest, I was trying to find more Kaye Umansky books through the library and found this one available on CD, so I put in a request for it.  **sigh**  It is number three of a series of four.  This is the only one of the series that the library has.  It is incredibly short and at first I did not like that idea then I thought about it and decided this was truly clever.  If all four tales had been put into one book most kids would run away from it because it would be too long for them.  Each story, if like this one (and I am fairly certain they are) can be a stand-alone story but even better if read in order.

Strange Days at Sea is the third book in The Quest For 100 Gold Coins series of books.  This book is not particularly appealing to adults in its humor but I think it is quirky enough for most boys (and girls) of the middle grade reading level to enjoy.



Book 045

Another book, discovered in the library's inter-library loan system, by Kaye Umansky, is I Live in a Mad House.  While washing cars through a door-to-door canvassing of neighbors, a car gets washed by accident and the owner goes ballistic.  Meanwhile, preparations are being made at home for little brother's third birthday and a friend has purchased a bunch of old falling-apart hand puppets at a thrift sale.  Of course, the madhouse erupts when all three components collide on the day of the birthday party ...



Book 046

Well, I did say I had put in a "hold' request for Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair through the library's OverDrive system.  The version they have is the one read by Susan Duerden.

Well ...

I haven't checked to find out which was published first, whether one was for the US market as opposed to the British market or what but ...

They are different!  Not just a different reader.  Different quotes at the beginning of chapters;  different scenes;  different.

I did not like Dueren's narration.  If I had not already grown quite accustomed to Elizabeth Sastra and Emily Gray, I suppose I could have gotten used to Duerden's narration and maybe even preferred it over the others if I heard them later.  Except there were a few words really mangled in their pronunciation. 

One I could not get passed was "Spesh Ops" instead of "Speck Ops" for SpecOps -- the Special Operations force.  Sure, special is "spesh" but generally it is "speck" when shortened.  **sigh**

And the only other one that really smacked me hard enough to write down was Nikon with a short i instead of the long i of "Nigh Kon" not her "Nih Kon."  Picky, picky, I know.

Oh, and one more -- you know the word for "tartan," P.L.A.I.D.  Yeh, that word.  How do you pronounce it?  I pronounce it "plah-d" but here it was "plade" ...  **shudder and shudder again**

The different scenes and quotes really did not improve the story compared to what I am familiar with except ... and I would love to have this scene added to the version I know and love:  Thursday and Landon attend a performance of Shakespeare's Richard the Third.  I've never been to one of these showings but this scene sounds just like what I've heard a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show with all its audience participation is like.  Wonderful scene.  Doesn't actually add to the story / plot but was great fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment