Wednesday, February 18, 2015

January 26, 2015 -- Books 036 to 038


Book 036

When this book first appeared in the ads at the top of Audible's homepage, I looked for it through the public library's inter-library loan.  I discovered it was available through the OverDrive service and put myself on the waiting list for it.  It came available and I downloaded it.

Broken Homes: A Rivers of London Novel by Ben Aaronovitch was an interesting novel featuring London police who are also apprentices in policing the magical folk of the area.  Not realizing this book is the fourth of a series, I thought it was daring in how it approached previous events in the lives and work of the characters -- just presenting them as if the reader was fully aware of the previous events.  And found out that it really wasn't necessary to know all those details.  I thought this daring but effective.  Only after I finished the book, and I wanted to find out if there were books that come after this one, that I discovered there were three previous books.


Book 037

Another Cornelia Funke novel, book one of the Ghosthunters series, Ghosthunter and the Incredibly Revolting Ghost, was next.  Discovering a gross ghost in the basement and trying to get rid of it was only the beginning.  Sending it back where it came from, a house in another neighborhood of the town, was the solution.  Lots of grossness -- great for boys who may not like prissy sissy books.  **grin**


Book 038

A book written in the 1970s (I believe) by Martha Grimes did not "trip my trigger" when I first listened to it and I avoided going back to it, though it sits in my e-audio library beckoning to me.  Then one day last year I decided to give it another listen.  And I cannot figure out why it did not appeal to me right away.
This book is a mystery with a sense of humor and a gaggle of interesting characters.  Aunt Agatha is one of my favorite characters -- she is obnoxious and stupid (in my opinion) -- and adds the right amount of humor to the story so that I have listened to the book a couple of times since I decided it wasn't so bad after all.
The book?
The Man With A Load of Mischief is one of Martha Grimes's books with pub names for titles.  Give this one a chance ...

No comments:

Post a Comment