Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February 9, 2015 -- Book 056 to 058


(OOPS! A mistake in the composition book -- gotta scratch out numbers and re-number to get it right ... BRB ... okay, after finding a pen of a different color to make the corrections and then picking up the stuff that slid to the floor, got the numbers corrected, I think ... SO on to ...)


Book 057

Peter Abraham's Down the Rabbit Hole, an Echo Falls Mystery, has the main character taking algebra in middle school so she is on the "calculus track" in high school so she can get into what dad considers a good school, Princeton or some other top school ... However, the character wants, at this point, to not have anything to do with math now or as a career ... she get the Alice role in a community production of Alice In Wonderland while trying to keep secret her meeting with the town's bag lady the same day the woman was murdered ...



Book 058

Hmmm ... when this book came out at Audible, I checked to see if it was available from the library and it was.  In fact, while it was on order and not in yet, I was the first on the "waiting list" for it.  So, I knew there would be no problems with it in my laptop's CD player.
So glad I got this book through the library and not at Audible.  I doubt I will listen to it again.  In the reviews it was heralded as a great "journey" book as if it was the first of the genre of old people going walkies (my way of expressing it).  But having already encountered  The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson and The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce I knew this book was not the first of its kind.
However, etta and otto and russell and james by Emma Hooper was well crafted, blending flashback to the time of WWII with the "present" of the book.  At first, I thought the war was WWI but eventually figured out the time period of the flashbacks but not completely sure of the "current" time of the story and Etta's walk from her farm home west of Regina to go see "the water" at Halifax.  I have to go to Mapquest or Google Earth to find out if there is a bridge to Nova Scotia from New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island -- because I thought you got to Nova Scotia only by ferry but my experience is decades ago -- and there is no mention of Etta and James taking a ferry ...
I can't say much more about the book or what I thought of it without being a bit of a spoiler ...



No comments:

Post a Comment