Wednesday, February 18, 2015

January 21, 2015 -- Book 031


Off Armegeddon Reef, book one of the Safeholder series by David Weber, came along next.  As I wrote in my composition book where I keep my list of books along with any other "important" information that I want to keep track of, I wrote of this book:  "Started good -- with dialog!!  But ... bogged down.  May be good but ... I'm too impatient to keep going to find out.  If a "real" book, I might flip forward to check if it interests me more later but audiobooks keep me "linear" ..."

I quit an hour and eleven minutes into the almost 30 hour book ...

So ...

Since I was 99.44% sure I would not be returning to the previous book, I reused its number immediately.  This is the "true" Book 031:  Fortunately, The Milk by Neil Gaiman.  This is a book I borrowed as a book, to see the illustrations, after giving it a listen.  It is read by the author and is a wonderful listen.  So, I have listened to it about three or four times so far ...

Neil Gaiman grew up in England.  One source says that he and his rock star wife, Amanda Palmer, now live in Massachusetts, but for a time he lived in Menomenie, Wisconsin.  Now, when you listen to (or read) the book, you will think it is set in England.  But ...

Well, Menomenie, Wisconsin, is galactically about two inches from Elmwood, Wisconsin, which is "THE" UFO Capital of the World.  This is important to know ... ah, maybe not.  But since the aliens are important to the story of Fortunately, the Milk ... there may be a link there ...


No comments:

Post a Comment