Wednesday, February 18, 2015

January 11, 2015 -- Book 020 -- Pratchett's "Long ..." Might Be Too Long ...


The third book in Sir Terry Pratchett's Long Earth Series, comes in as the twentieth book of the year.  The Long Mars by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.  The narrator is Michael Fenton-Stevens.  Fenton-Stevens is also the narrator of The Science of Discworld by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen.  

To be honest, I am not impressed with this trilogy.  Like many other books, including a couple of the more recent Discworld books, which I did not like on first listen, if I listen to them again, I might actually like them a bit better.  However, I think it will be a while before I go through this series again.

For one thing, while this is extremely minor, I cringe every time I hear Fenton-Stevens say "en-sign" for "en-sin" as Americans would pronounce it.   And, to be honest, if I had not listened to The Science of Discworld back in November 2014 (twice, because I was intrigued by some of the science presented -- things have changed in the world of science since I was in school and even since I gave up TV and no longer get to watch Nova and other science programs) I probably would not have really "gotten" some of the speculative science in The Long Mars.

I had listened to the first two books of the trilogy, The Long Earth (10-15-14) and
The Long War (10-20-14), because I finally decided to see what they were about.  Lots of reader reviews were very complimentary -- so I decided to give it a try.

A second listen will probably let me speculate about the philosophical issues raised by the books but in terms of plot -- eh, not all that interesting (in my opinion).  When the third book came up available from the public library's OverDrive service, I decided to go ahead and give it a listen, just to finish off the series.  I did not expect to like it a lot.  And -- I don't hate it.  I don't love it.  It was okay.

However, as a novel to explain some of the science that intrigues Pratchett, go with The Science of Discworld instead.  The Wizards are certainly more interesting than the characters in this trilogy (to me).

No comments:

Post a Comment